The photo on the right shows how I checked to make sure that I had the mast step positioned correctly before I set it in a bed of thickened epoxy and drove four stainless steel screws up through the bottom of the hull. I made a short, 'dummy' mast in the same shape and dimensions as the real mast, so that I could get the mast step installed before I could move the boat outdoors. I leveled the hull from side-to-side, and then taped a level to the dummy mast to make sure that the mast would not lean sideways.
After I was sure that the mast would fit, I coated the mast and boom with epoxy. After the epoxy cures, I will varnish these spars for a traditional look.
After another round of sanding everything, I think I am getting close to being ready to paint and varnish. I ordered a sail kit from Sailrite, so I'll write more about that next time.